What a great year it’s been.With two “champion wine of show” trophies on display at the cellar door, there has been lots to celebrate and Christmas 2013 will be a perfect excuse to kick back and enjoy some pretty special wines.
Of course it won’t just be Nautilus that we’re drinking – an important part of being a winemaker is to “benchmark” our wines against some great examples from around the world. It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it.
So here, for your reading pleasure, is a list of the wines that will be on the Jones’ household drinks menu over the Christmas period:
- Nautilus Cuvee Marlborough Brut NV. After winning the Air New Zealand wine awards champion wine of show, this wine will certainly be consumed on Xmas day, New Years’ Eve and throughout the holidays!
- Prunotto Moscato d’Asti. This is the ideal breakfast fizz while opening the presents. It’s naturally low in alcohol so it’s one the kids can try as well.
- Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett. Over summer I drink Riesling – we don’t make one so it is all about enjoyment, and Egon Muller’s one of my favourites.
- Framingham Riesling Kabinett. Dr Hedley’s sensational Kiwi equivalent.
- Neudorf Moutere Chardonnay. My favourite Kiwi chardonnay, rich complex & stylish
- Comte Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre. My favourite white Burgundy, description as per previous wine!
- Ata Rangi Pinot Noir – a Kiwi classic that never fails to impress
- Domain Dujac Clos da la Roche – this wine brings back memories of a great vintage experience in Burgundy
- Nautilus Four Barriques Pinot Noir – Ok I have to have another ‘house’ wine in there – & I need to check the 2010 vintage to see if it ready for release next year
- Stonyridge Larose – from the cellar & for that inevitable cold, wet day over the holidays
- Chateau Rieussec – sticky goodness
- Bollinger Special Cuvee – you have to start & finish with bubbles – it is the festive season after all!
Whatever you’re drinking over the holidays, I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Christmas.
Best wishes, Clive and the team at Nautilus!